Section 8 Home Ownership
Section 8 Home Ownership applications are issued at the discretion of the Section 8 Department to families who meet the program’s qualifications.
Families currently housed under the HAF Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program can convert their rental subsidy to a housing assistance payment (HAP) that can be used toward the purchase of a single-family home, manufactured home with a permanent foundation or condominium for up to 15 years, provided they remain eligible all 15 years. Elderly or disabled families may receive assistance for up to 30 years, if they remain eligible.
To qualify, an individual or family must:
- Have a Housing Choice Voucher.
- Not owe HAF or any other housing authority money.
- Qualify as a first homeowner under HUD guidelines and not homeownership interest in a home in the past 3 years, unless divorced.
- Have a minimum household income of $15,000 annually.
- Have been employed for 12 consecutive months working at least 30 hours per week (elderly and disabled individuals are exempt).
Families must also:
- Agree to purchase a single family home, manufactured home with permanent foundation, or condominium in Florence County.
- Qualify for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage with acceptable loan terms
- Provide minimum cash investment from personal savings or other sources that total $500.
- Meet eligibility requirements for the program during the entire time they receive homeownership assistance from HAF.
- Complete homeownership training including classes on home buying, budget and credit, and home and yard maintenance.
Public Housing Home Ownership
Home Ownership assistance for Public Housing residents will be offered as funds are made available to the Housing Authority.
How Do I Apply?
Persons interested in either of the Home Ownership Programs should call (843) 669-4163.
The Home Ownership programs for Section 8 & Public Housing are currently suspended until further notice.